BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, December 14, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife


Having read the book, I confess myself a bit disappointed by the movie. I was expecting more sadness because the book was about the sad, tragic but uplifting sad love story of Clare and Henry.
The movie starts off with Henry’s mother dying in the car accident and Henry supposedly disappearing for the first time. Which isn’t true, that was Henry’s second time. And the accident was more gruesome and terrifying. She actually got decapitated by a piece of metal. The metal only managed to get Henry’s hat and sliced a bit of his forehead. And the person driving the pieces of metal fainted when he saw Henry’s mum and was run over by a bus, whose driver was gawking at the accident.
Eric Bana plays Henry DeTamble. I had imagined someone younger and leaner for Henry like hmmm,Jake Gyllenhaal? But Eric managed to play Henry convincingly as well as his gorgeous co-star Rachel McAdams as Clare Abshire. I don’t know if Rachel’s hair is naturally red or not but I loved the fact that they followed the book. Except for Alba, I was quite irritated by that. Alba was supposed to be a miniature of Henry.
I wished that they showed more of Henry as a little kid. An older Henry teaching little Henry about his survival skills:stealing,picking locks,etc. I’m sure that would have been entertaining to watch.
There was too much kissing in the movie, almost in every scene. Well, I know it’s a romantic movie but I expected more meaningful conversation to go along with it. Gomez was funny as he is in the book and the part when Henry disappeared on his wedding day and Gomez freaks out was done beautifully.
They wrote out Kimy and Ingrid. They were important characters in Henry’s life but I guess you can’t take everyone in the book or the movie will be too long.
The most funny part of the movie for me was when Henry and Clare went house-hunting. It was exactly in the book, while Clare was asking the real estate agent on the normal stuff you ask when you buy a house, Henry walks to the back of the house, looks around and saying this isn’t the house. Lol..
The scene where Alba tells him that he is dead, should have been one of the climatic points in the movie. It kinda was but if they followed that scene in the book, it would have been more amazing. At the end of the movie, where Clare and Henry run to each other, if Henry disappeared, I’m sure any soft-hearted girl would cry. Sitting in the cinema, my friends were like, don’t disappear, don’t disappear! Hehehe..but I was kind of hoping he did, it makes a better story. Still, it was kinda sad when he suddenly goes and leaves Clare, who looks sad and bereft.
I did tear up at the end of the movie, but if they really followed the book (cutting off his legs, the miscarriages, Henry meeting Clare again when she is 80), I would be sobbing. It was sad but not gut-wrenching sad. Or maybe it’s just me. (It’s hard to get me crying.) And they didn’t really cut all the scenes and replace with new ones. They did follow the book and almost every scene was in the book so I’m not really disappointed and annoyed. Still, like always, the book was much better than the movie. =)


0 comments: